“Donating long-term appreciated securities directly to [your chosen charity] — rather than selling the assets and then donating the cash proceeds — is one of the best and easiest ways for donors to give more. By taking advantage of the applicable tax incentives, donors can significantly increase the amount of funds available to them for charitable giving . . . [and] is one of the most tax-efficient of all ways to give.” ~ Fidelity Charitable
- Any long-term appreciated securities with unrealized gains (meaning they were purchased over a year ago and have a current value greater than their original cost) may be donated to a public charity and a tax deduction taken for the full fair market value of the securities — up to 30% of the donor’s adjusted gross income.
- Since the securities are donated rather than sold, capital gains taxes from selling the securities no longer apply. The more appreciation the securities have, the greater the tax savings will be.
- You avoid paying capital gains taxes when you contribute appreciated stocks or bonds directly to the OSSM Foundation.
- You deduct the full value of the stock or bond as a charitable contribution, saving income taxes and lowering the effective cost of your gift.
- The full value of your gift of stocks or bonds helps OSSM serve Oklahoma students and teachers, while you receive a significant tax break.
From the Wall Street Journal, HERE are three tax-savvy ways to donate appreciated stocks or bonds.
If you are planning on giving a gift of stocks or bonds to the OSSM Foundation, please contact OSSM Director of Development Pam Felactu at (405) 522-7804 for wiring instructions.
Thank you so much for your generous support!